Utilizes Geographic Information System (GIS), particularly ESRI products, i.e. ArcGIS online, Portal, Pro, python, geo database design & creation. Works closely with all Transmission business units (i.e. Engineering, Right-of-Way, Siting, Planning, Project Management) to better utilize the capabilities of GIS products. Previous GIS experience with utilities and/or IT development is preferred. Prefers a bachelor's degree in area of specialty and 8+ years of experience in GIS with an expert level knowledge of ESRI software and GIS concepts. A certain degree of creativity and understanding is required in order to incorporate GIS technology into our key systems and processes to more effectively execute Transmission's project portfolio. Typically reports to Program Lead.
Position Summary: Provide advanced GIS expertise with responsibilities for GIS staff and work product oversite. Familiarity with a range of applications of geospatial technology and analytical methods and the ability to develop customized solutions to project needs.
1. Responsible for the consistency of data in the GIS system. Monitor data entry for consistency and accuracy and coordinate updates of applicable GIS.
2. Develop, assemble, edit and revise maps and map products using GIS cartographic concepts, principles and processes for various groups throughout the AEP organization.
3. Provide business unit support to IT as requested for the maintenance of the GIS system.
4. Apply technical expertise to establishing workflows and protocol and standards for GIS team to achieve project objectives.
5. Provide primary support to GIS users. Support includes both a technical understanding of the application and a functional understanding of the business the application supports.
6. Provide internet and web based support for on-line, web-based GIS.
7. Meets and resolves business unit complaints with software and respond to suggestions for improvements and enhancements. Work with technical staff to understand problems with software and resolve them..
8. Train employees in data entry, data manipulation, extraction of information from database, and GIS software applications. Assist in development of software user manuals.
9. Assure that the specific departments GIS interfaces with other corporate systems.
10. Provide leadership by initiating action and needed change; seeking opportunities to introduce innovation while maintaining operating efficiencies of the GIS system.
11. Integrates geographic, cartographic, remote sensing, and GPS concepts and principals in resource data management and displays those using windows-based systems, computers, global positioning systems and computer software that include cartographic data translation software.
12. Coordinates and supports the integration of global positioning system (GPS) data with the GIS, data research and purchasing.
13. Assist in and/or develop GIS standards with regards to symbology, processes and incorporates those standards within the GIS organization.
14. Assist in and/or develop strategies, processes and procedures for the further refinement and advancement of the GIS platform within the organization.
15. Meets and works with customers to support project development and needs using the GIS platform.
Minimum Requirements: Education: Bachelors degree in GIS, Computer Science, Geography, Civil Engineering, Drafting or related field OR Associates degree in GIS, Computer Science, Geography, Civil Engineering, Drafting or related field OR High School/equivalency and a GIS certification.
Experience: Bachelors degree - 7 year related GIS experiences: non-GIS Bachelors or Associates degree - 9 years related GIS experience; High School - 12 years related GIS experience
License: Valid state drivers license
1.Advanced GIS expert with responsibilities for GIS staff and work product oversight.
2.Monitors staff workload.
3.Oversight of quality control on work performed by GIS staff.
4.Provides technical expertise regarding data analysis and visualization to lower level GIS staff.
5.Understanding of database development and management.
6.Leading development of protocols and analysis procedures.
7.Identifies and implements appropriate methods and techniques for GIS projects.
We know that a company's success starts with its employees. We also know that an individual's success starts with the right career opportunity. As a Best of Staffing Client and Talent leader, Aerotek's people-focused approach yields competitive advantage for our clients and rewarding careers for our contract employees. Since 1983, Aerotek has grown to become a leader in recruiting and staffing services. With more than 250 non-franchised offices, Aerotek's 8,000 internal employees serve more than 300,000 contract employees and 18,000 clients every year. Aerotek is an Allegis Group company, the global leader in talent solutions. Learn more at Aerotek.com.
Loading some great jobs for you...